5 Effective, Natural Ways to Get Pregnant
Which Natural Ways to Get Pregnant Can Help?
Fertility issues can be tough on couples. Whether it’s plain old bad luck or an underlying issue, it can be heartbreaking to work so hard at getting pregnant, only to see no results.
Sure, there are plenty of medications and fertility treatments you can try, but you’re worried about the side effects. The good news is that there are plenty of natural ways to get pregnant, and small changes to your lifestyle may be the only thing standing in your way of starting (or extending) your family.
1. Get Your Weight Under Control
Getting pregnant naturally may be as simple as getting your weight under control. Women who are under or overweight have a more difficult time getting pregnant.
Women who are underweight (a BMI of 19 or lower) have the hardest time getting pregnant. In fact, it can take a woman in this weight range four times longer to get pregnant than a woman at a healthy weight (BMI of 20-24).
That being said, women who are overweight are at a disadvantage as well. Insulin resistance, which occurs when too much insulin circulates through the body, actually disrupts menstruation. The estrogen produced by fat cells can also have an effect on the ovaries, and prevent eggs from being released each month.
Whether you’re under or overweight, work towards getting to a healthy, normal BMI. Sometimes, gaining or losing as little as 5 pounds is all that’s needed to jumpstart ovulation and regulate menstrual cycles.
2. Eat the Right Foods
Want to know how to get pregnant fast naturally? Eat healthy. Eating a healthy, nourishing diet will give your body all the fuel it needs to support a pregnancy.
Your doctor can provide you with detailed diet recommendations, but here are a few general tips:
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. Aim to add different colored veggies to your plate with each meal. This will ensure that you’re getting a variety of essential nutrients.
- Consume a healthy amount of fat. Aim for the good fats, like those found in olive and coconut oil. Make sure that you’re getting plenty of omega-3 fatty acids as well. Flaxseed and chia seed are excellent sources, but you may consider a fish oil supplement as well.
- Add whole grains to your diet. Whole grains will provide you with plenty of fiber and other vital nutrients that your body needs to support a pregnancy.
- Eat nuts and seeds in moderation. Nuts and seeds are also great sources of nutrients and protein, but be careful with your consumption. These are high in calories and fat, so only eat a handful a day.
3. Make Love Daily
The tried and true way to get pregnant naturally: make love daily. The more often you and your partner have sex, the better your chances of conceiving. Experts advise against waiting for that “fertile” window to have sex.
Did you know that after a week, a man’s sperm count goes up, but motility goes down? When a man doesn’t have sex for more than five days, his sperm count is negatively affected.
Couples who have sex every day have the best chances of getting pregnant, but if that proves to be too stressful, having sex every other day is just as effective.
4. Cut Back on the Coffee and the Alcohol
Are you an avid coffee drinker? Do you love wine? If so, you may be inadvertently sabotaging your chances of getting pregnant.
According to experts, drinking more than five cups of coffee in a day (that’s about 500mg of caffeine) can have a negative effect on fertility. You don’t have to give up on your morning “pick me up,” but limit your intake to just one or two cups per day.
Like caffeine, alcohol can also have a negative effect on fertility. Moderation is, again, the key here. Two or more drinks per day can decrease your chances of getting pregnant, but moderate alcohol consumption appears to have no effect on fertility.
That being said, keep in mind that you’re trying to get pregnant and alcohol consumption may affect the health of your baby. To be on the safe side, try to avoid drinking alcohol altogether until after the baby is born.
5. Try Supplements and Herbs
For women who want to know how to get pregnant naturally, supplements and herbs may be the answer. Men and women have been using herbs and other remedies to improve fertility for thousands of years.
The great thing about herbal therapy, when used properly, is that it addresses the underlying issue that’s causing fertility problems. When it comes to conventional drug therapy, the only goal is to treat the symptoms.
What kind of supplements and herbs can help improve fertility? There are numerous, but I’m going to share three very effective ones.
- Evening primrose oil: This is a supplement, or herb, that’s recommended by The Pregnancy Miracle (an educational guide that helps women overcome their fertility issues), and it’s a highly effective one. It contains GLA, which is a fatty acid that improves nerve function and regulates hormones.
- Clover: Clover, also known as Dong Quai Root, has been used in Chinese medicine to treat women’s problems, such as menopause, lack of sex drive, PMS and menstrual cramps. It helps regulate hormones for both men and women, and is often used as an aphrodisiac.
- Ginseng: Ginseng helps strengthen the immune system, improve sperm count and reduces stress.
These are just a few of the many herbs and supplements that can help you overcome your fertility issues. I would recommend doing some research to find more effective herbal therapies if these three don’t help.
There are plenty of ways to get pregnant naturally, but it’s important to remember that conception takes time. Rushing and stressing about getting pregnant will only delay the process. By making a few simple life changes, you can greatly improve your chances of getting pregnant, and give your body the fuel it needs to produce a healthy baby. Find out more in the Pregnancy Miracle book.